Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Beware of threes...especially in twos...

We had such a crazy week!  It was the kind of week that makes you wonder what you did in a past life to get that kind of Karma!  It started on the weekend when we stifled without A/C.  After some checking, we realized our thermostat needed to be replaced.  Easily enough accomplished, and we're back to cool air and smooth sailing...until Monday, when our A/C cut out AGAIN.  Of course the A/C people were due to come out WEDNESDAY, but we couldn't wait that long.  Fortunately it was a switch, and we're off and running!

Tuesday I'm sitting in the house debating my dinner options when I hear this strange static-like noise.  I walk into the kitchen, trying to figure out what's wrong with the baby monitor, when I hear the noise plus a soft pop.  Turning my attention to the refrigerator, I see...smoke?  What an awful smell?  Seriously?  Is that smoke?  My eyes water as I watch the smoke billow out from the fridge, and I panic.  That type of panic that seizes your guts and roots you to the floor.  Fire?  Am I about to lose my house?  Can I get my kids out fast enough?  Do I need to call the fire department?  WHERE IS MY HUSBAND?!?!?!?  This clearly does NOT fall under the realm of "mom stuff."  Fire is "Dad stuff!"  

This lasted all of 3 seconds, and then I hear a voice in my head yell, "Turn off the breaker!  MOVE!!"  I yank open that breaker box and flip EVERY switch that looks like it could have anything to do with the kitchen.  Microwave...dishwasher...kitchen general...oven...does that say kitchen?  Don't know...flipping it anyway.  I go back inside to find that I'm lucky enough to have forestalled a fire!  WHOOHOO!  So I call my husband and shriek into the phone, "WHERE ARE YOU?!?  I JUSTFLIPPEDTHEBREAKERSAND(sniffle sob shudder)YEAAAHMMWNOWPHOIHLJBKEWR..."  Fortunately he's smart enough to realize that this translates into, "Get home now, she's lost all sense of coherency."  

A new fridge later, it's Wednesday, and it's time for fridge delivery...or it would be, if the Lowe's employee who sold us the fridge (which we specifically bought because it was IN STOCK) knew how to put an order in the system...We call the store, but the associate says, "I can't help you, call the delivery company," then hangs up before we can respond.  We find our paperwork and call the delivery company, who says, "We don't have a record of this delivery.  We're really sorry.  Here's the manager's name and direct line, call him and see if he can help.  We'll check on our end."  We call the manager and are told, "It was mistakenly entered as a special delivery and will be in next week."  Next week?  I don't think I can pack my fridge full of ice for over a week and hope I'll be able to keep ANYTHING cold...So the manager wearily informs us that as soon as he hangs up he will make sure the order is changed so it can be delivered THURSDAY, and there's just nothing else he can do to help us.  Yeah, wouldn't want to offer a coupon, a minor discount, a small gift card...We get a call two hours later saying delivery will be Thursday, but the guy who calls us is livid because when he got the new list for Thursday, we weren't on it.  He had to call Lowe's and chew out the manager who screwed up our order AGAIN.  Thanks to the delivery company we got a fridge on Thursday.  Thanks to Lowe's we won't be shopping there again for a new appliance!

Wednesday night comes, and I can rest easily...or not, as Twin A decides it's time to come down with one whale of a chest cold!  We spend the night in the family room, and it takes three rounds of albuterol for her to finally breath well enough for her to be able to sleep.  So Thursday it's off to the pediatrician for orapred, albuterol, and antibiotics for both girls.  Twin B, it turns out, was keeping her double ear infections a secret...We get home...Oww, my sinuses...You always want your children to share...just not their germs...Sleep is elusive when you are blowing your nose every 2 minutes...

Friday, and FINALLY we're going to have a bit of a break.  DH heads out of town to attend the Nascar race at Bristol with his family, and it's girls night!  We enjoy our pasta and movie, and everyone heads to bed...what the HECK is that wail?  I head into C's room...and light out of there for the kitchen like I'm being chased by wolves.  I grab a pan and break landspeed records running into C's room, just in time to get that pot under her...and it's a stomach virus!  JACKPOT!  Back to the family room for another all-nighter!  My third in a row.  See the power of three at work here?  It's like the TV show Charmed, but without the strange fashions and "magic."  

On Saturday I was supposed to attend an all day training class that I'd been REALLY looking forward to for weeks.  Nope...I'm in the family room watching various cartoons all day, dealing with three sick little girls, and wishing my head had a flip top so I could remove my sinuses.  Wouldn't it be great if you could get disposable sinuses?  When they get sick you just pop open your head, toss the infected ones, and put in a fresh, clean pair.  Let's get on that evolution thing there, God, 'K?

After I posted on FB about my fridge a friend of mine innocently reminded me of the rule of 3 - you know, bad things happening in 3s.  Personally I think we're covered for a couple of years, because we've had all the bad things we needed...in ONE week!  I'm declaring a moratorium on bad things around here!!

No comments:

Post a Comment